Interested parties who meet the qualifications must submit a District application. Resumes alone will not be accepted, but may be included with application. To obtain an application, please visit our website www.shastamosquito.org, and look in section “About Us > Employment.”
DESCRIPTION: The term of the position is anticipated to begin in April and is expected to extend through September. The term and scheduled days or hours may be increased or decreased depending upon the needs of the program and department. This position will be limited to work no more than 1,000 hours in a fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Under the direction of the District Manager and the direct supervision of the Assistant Manager and/or Vector Ecologist, the SVA carries out routine assignments and related operations at SMVCD. The SVA carries out assignments, the details of which have been planned and organized by persons working at a higher level. These assignments may include working as part of a vector control field staff, as part of lab staff, or other work as directed.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this position.
· As directed, treats designated locations for mosquito reduction, such as catch basins, ditches, and flood control channels. Works as part of a crew covering marshes, ponds, river isolations, etc. Keeps assigned equipment in working order. Reports deficiencies in equipment, and problems to the supervisor. Keeps records of work accurate and timely.
· As directed, conducts field and laboratory studies of mosquitoes and other vectors, vector-borne diseases, pesticides or other products.
· Must act in a professional and courteous manner at all times when interacting with the public.
· Keeps simple daily operations records, including inventory.
· Utilizes computer and computer software including MS Outlook, Word, and Excel.
· Work in inclement weather conditions, high temperatures, and traverses various rough terrain.
· Capability to read and write in English. Work dependably and cooperatively with others. Maintain and appreciate safety precautions. Learn to operate specialized equipment and to exercise independent judgment.
· Standard vehicle operations including observing legal and defensive driving practices.
· Perform general work and learn the specific operations of the office.
· Establish and maintain cooperative relations with the public and fellow employees.
· Understand and follow oral and written directions.
· Education or training which demonstrates the abilities to perform the above requirements.
· Graduation of High School or the G.E.D. equivalent.
Physical Demands and Essential Duties
· Lifting- Performs work which involves frequent lifting, pushing and/or pulling of objects approximately 50 or fewer pounds. Heavier lifting is an infrequent aspect of this class.
· Other conditions- Incumbent(s) may be exposed to and handle toxic and hazardous substances; be available for evening and weekend emergencies, as assigned; travel within and out of the county; work, when necessary, in inclement weather exposed to sun, cold, and rain; work in high risk neighborhoods with potential exposure to uncooperative persons and dog (animal) bites.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
· Operate specialized vector control equipment.
· Possession of a valid California driver’s license; must qualify for insurance coverage by the District’s insurance carrier.
· California Code of Regulations, Title 3, Article 2, Section 6722 requires that, in order to mix and load toxic chemicals, employees must be at least 18 years old.
Number of openings: 1
Worksite City: ANDERSON
Wages / Salary: $14.25-$17.32/hour DOE
Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Number of hours/week: 40
Job Hours: 7am-3:30pm
Contract Status: Temporary
If Temp, What is the duration: April-September
Job closes on: 2018-04-10
Driver’s License Required: Yes
DMV History: No
FMCSA Medical Card Required: No