Website County of Shasta
THE COUNTY OF SHASTA
INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR
$2,896 – $3,696 APPROXIMATE MONTHLY / $16.71 – $21.32 APPROXIMATE HOURLY
*Please refer to the appropriate Bargaining
Unit Memorandum of Understanding for potential future salary increases*
Please visit http://www.co.shasta.ca.us/index/support_index/personnel/MOUs.aspx
ORAL EXAM IS TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 2019
SEE “SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS” SECTION
RESPONSES TO SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS REQUIRED
FINAL FILING DATE: SEPTEMBER 24, 2019 AT 5:00 PM
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under the direction of a Deputy Probation Officer to perform a variety of basic casework support duties for the Probation Department and to perform related duties as required.
This position is a para-professional class for probation. Incumbents work initially under close supervision and receive on-the-job training in basic casework management for the purpose of assisting a Deputy Probation Officer in performing the more routine casework duties. The Probation Assistant Class is distinguished from the class of Deputy Probation Officer I in that the latter class is assigned the full range of casework duties.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Process and transport clients according to established guidelines and procedures; process fines and other payments ordered by the court; perform follow-up duties concerning delinquent fines; perform drug testing on clients according to established procedures and guidelines; monitor minimal supervision cases; log calls and monthly reports; prepare and send Failure to Comply notices; monitor fines and other payments; interview defendants at the County Jail; submit written reports to the Court; interview and process defendants for Adult Work Program; type lists, letters, memos, and forms as required; operate standard office equipment; communicate with personnel from drug and alcohol programs and other agencies to receive and provide information concerning the status of probationers; communicate with other probation departments concerning background checks on defendants; maintain related files and records; perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to directly demonstrate possession and application of the following:
The basic principle affecting human behavior; basic causes of delinquency and crime; basic interviewing
principles and techniques.
Learn and apply the principles and practices of probation work and casework techniques; interview persons from diverse socio-economic, cultural and educational backgrounds and obtain confidential information in a persistent, tactful and courteous manner; learn and apply Federal and State laws and County ordinances affecting probation; use sound judgement to assess problems and reach logical conclusions; write clear, concise and objective reports; establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, staff and others; gather and analyze investigative materials; orally present and explain facts and situations clearly; learn to manage assigned caseload and to establish caseload priorities to meet legal and departmental requirements; learn to use community resources; learn to perform drug testing procedures; prepare and maintain accurate records, case files and statistical reports; learn to input, access and analyze data using a computer.
These standards are typically attained with completion of 60 units from an accredited college or university with coursework in psychology, sociology, criminal justice, social work or other behavioral science.
Two years of experience either working in a Probation Department or performing duties involving the supervision, care or leadership of juveniles or adults.
• Possess and maintain a valid California Driver license.
Responses to the following must be submitted with a completed application.
1. Do you have 60 units from an accredited college or university with course work in psychology, sociology, criminal justice, social work or other behavioral science? Yes____ No____
2. If yes, please list applicable units. If no, please type “N/A”.
3. Do you have two (2) years of experience either working in a Probation Department or performing duties involving supervision, care, or leadership of juveniles or adults? Yes___ No___
4. If yes, please describe applicable experience, including job title, length of time in position, and description of duties. If no, please type “N/A”.
• All new employees are required to have their paycheck directly deposited to a bank account.
• Some positions may require a valid California driver’s license and acceptable driving record according to County policy.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made for those persons who are disabled under the Americans with Disabilities Act to perform the essential functions of the position.
• As part of the selection process, all individuals provided with a preliminary offer of employment with Shasta County will be subject to a background investigation, including a criminal history check (primarily completed through the taking of fingerprints). An image of your fingerprints will be captured and sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history, (if any), will be evaluated along with the other information received in connection with your application. Except as otherwise required by law, a criminal conviction will not necessarily disqualify you from the position. The nature of the offense, the date of the offense, the surrounding circumstances, and the relevance of the offense to the position applied for may, however, be considered.
• Based on the results of the background investigation and criminal history check, applicants may then be provided with an offer of employment conditioned on the results of a medical examination, which includes drug/alcohol testing.
• Shasta County participates in E-Verify. For more information click here. If you do not have internet access, contact Personnel at (530) 225-5515 to request a flier.
• In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, County employees, in the event of a disaster are considered disaster workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.
• Positions in this classification are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the County and the United Public Employees of California (UPEC) – General.
• Employees in this classification are covered under the CalPERS retirement program. Depending on the provisions of the California Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act (PEPRA) and other applicable laws, an employee in this classification will be covered under one of the following CalPERS retirement formulas: (1) 2% at 55, (2) 2% at 60, or (3) 2% at 62. An employee in this classification will also contribute up to 7.25% of his/her pay to this plan, or will contribute such other amount to the plan as authorized by PEPRA and other applicable laws. Please visit our employees benefit page at Employee Benefits for additional information regarding benefits and CalPERS coverage information. The provisions in this flyer and on the County’s website are for information purposes only. To the extent the provisions of the flyer or the County’s website are inconsistent with PEPRA and other applicable laws, PEPRA and other applicable laws shall govern.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
Shasta County Personnel will accept applications and responses to the supplemental questions until 5:00 p.m., on September 24, 2019. A Resume and/or Cover Letter will be accepted in addition to the application form but will not serve as a substitute for a completed application. It is not acceptable to complete the application with statements such as, “Refer to Resume and/or Cover Letter,” or “See Attached Resume and/or Cover Letter” the employment application must be completed in its entirety prior to submission. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Closing date postmarks or faxes will NOT be accepted. This recruitment will establish a list that may or may not be used by other departments. Prior applicants must reapply to be considered.
Applicants will be screened and those considered best qualified will be invited to appear for an oral and/or written examination. Meeting the announced requirements does not guarantee inclusion into the selection process. Depending upon the number of applications received, the selection process may consist of additional application screening, written and/or practical exam(s), oral interview, or any combination thereof.
Veterans’ Credit: Veterans (as defined by California Government Code section 18973) who have been discharged from military service under conditions other than dishonorable and who receive a passing score on all components of the employment examinations (up to and including oral examinations) shall receive credit for an additional five points to be added to their final examination score. To be considered for this credit, a veteran MUST provide a copy of his or her discharge document (DD-214 or equivalent) and information as to the type of discharge (honorable, dishonorable, etc.) WITH THE EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION ON OR BEFORE THE FINAL FILING DATE.
Applicants are encouraged to apply on-line at apply online or submit an application to the Shasta County Personnel Office.
Arrangements may be made to accommodate applicants with disabilities. Requests for accommodations may be made to the Shasta County Personnel Office by the filing deadline posted on this bulletin. Shasta County does not discriminate on the basis of disability. If you feel you are being denied service based on a disability, our ADA Coordinator may be reached at (530) 225-5515; relay service (800) 735-2922; fax (530) 225-5345.
SHASTA COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Shasta County Personnel
1450 Court Street, Suite 348; Redding, CA 96001; (530) 225-5515
Worksite City: Redding
Wages / Salary: $16.71 - $21.32 APPROXIMATE HOURLY
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Leave
Number of hours/week: 40
Contract Status: Regular
Job closes on: 2019-09-24
Driver's License Required: Yes
FMCSA Medical Card Required:
Ways to apply
Apply on our company's website: https://agency.governmentjobs.com/shasta/default.cfm